INBIOMED is a Thematic Network for Cooperative Research in Biomedical Informatics. Storage, integration, and medical, genetic, epidemologic and image oriented data analysis aimed at pathology research. Thematic network funded by the «Fondo de Investigación Sanitaria» (FIS) of Institute of Health Carlos III.
INBIOMED enables coordination between major groups in Biomedical Informatics, technological groups and multiple pathology research groups, which use different approaches (genomic epidemiology, pharmacogenetics, molecular and image diagnosis) in which there is a need to bring together and analyze different kind of data (clinical, genetic, epidemiologic, images).
Biomedical Informatics will play a major role in the integration of data and medical approaches in these areas:
- Genomic epidemiology: population studies about the impact ofhuman genetic variability in health
- Pharmaco-genetics: studies about the differential genetic aspects between people (SNP profiles, for example) to help at the development of new medicines and analyze how genetic diversity affects the response to a medicine supply
- Molecular diagnosis and new techniques based on images. Integrated information systems that allow to tackle these studies are needed
INBIOMED aims to make available to other pathology networks systems and models aimed at the management and integrated analysis of genetic and clinical information, and medical images to be used in complex, multigenetic and highly influent in enviromental factors pathologies.
- In a distributed structure able to manage and link genetic, medical, clinical data and important enviromental factors
- Of analysis tools that allow to predict, model and visualize biomedical knowledge from experimental data
- Application and testing of the data structure and the analysis tools in research studies in the areas of pharmacogenetics, genetics epidemiologics, molecular and image based diagnosis, in the areas of the most prevalent pathologies (cancer, cardiovascular, neurologic)
INBIOMED presents the next definition parameters:
- Supports other pathology networks
- Aims at research (data integration at different levels, next generation tools for data and service distribution, tools for image and molecular data analysis)
- Complies with standards (HGN, UMLS, HGVS) and specification dictation
- Distributed approach for databases, using web based interfaces
- Advance towards the next Internet revolution (semantic web) – to manage knowledge in the different web modules
- Testers of the network and the analysis tools with real data generated by the applied research groups
- Utilities for guided access to external data sources, essential for example in genetic information areas (polymorphism and mutation databases, genetic deseases)